— Dual Enrollment Toolkit: A Resource for Community Colleges and School District Partners

The Dual Enrollment Toolkit is a resource for secondary and community college partners. This resource will highlight and describe promising practices related to providing historically underrepresented high school students with opportunities to earn college credits at California Community Colleges (CCC) while they complete the requirements for their high school diplomas. The intent is to provide specific, concrete guidance and evidence to interested college administrators, faculty and staff who are planning to build partnerships with K12 districts to support dual enrollment efforts on their campuses and/or within their districts.

Announcement and Advisory Committee
Legal Opinion 16-02
AB 288 Apportionment
Frequently Asked Questions
Agreement Framework CCAP
CCAP vs Non-CCAP Agreements
Legal Table
Instructional Minutes


A webinar with members of the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office and the authors of the Toolkit was held on June 7, 2016 to walk participants through the Toolkit and answer questions about dual enrollment in California.

To access the webinar recording, please click here.
Instructions for reviewing the webinar recording can be downloaded here.
To download the webinar slides, please click here.


Please feel free to post questions or comments below.

  • Kelly

    Thank you for providing this resource. According to the FAQ, a high school instructor must be hired as an adjunct faculty member in order to teach under AB288. According to T5 58058 this means that the district “has the primary right to control and direct the person ‘s activities during the time such person is serving the district.” If a high school instructor is teaching a dual credit course as part of their FT load, how will this work? Does this mean that a highly qualified teacher must teach overload in order for this system to work?

    • Naomi Castro

      Great question Kelly. I encourage you to submit this question for the upcoming Webinar on June 7th – you may do that here:

  • Mary Dominguez

    Will this webinar be recorded so we can watch at another time?

  • Tiffany Miller

    This toolkit is incredibly helpful! I really appreciate the detail around definitions and the specifics around different scenarios. Thank you so much for this great resource!

  • Laura Yager

    Have the 4-year universities been consulted with regarding the dual enrollment intent with community colleges?

    • Naomi Castro

      Hi Laura –
      In discussions around the state much dual enrollment happens in the context of pathways. In pathway partnership meetings I encourage community colleges and their K12 partners to invite their CSU and UC partners and I have seen some very encouraging examples of this around the state.

  • Lori Riehl

    A question I have has to do with the new Senate Bill 277, which mandates immunizations for students attending K-12 schools. What impact, if any, would this have on community college students taking a DE course during the school day alongside 9-12 students?

    • Naomi Castro

      Good question. I haven’t heard this concern before. We need to do some checking and will get back to you.

    • Naomi Castro

      Hi Again Lori-
      We forwarded your question to the legislative office at the Chancellor’s Office and they replied that there was no impact.

  • Marla

    Does HS dual enrollment college courses start the college athletic eligibility “clock” for an athlete that is still in high school?

    • Naomi Castro

      This is a great question – I will try to find out!

    • Naomi Castro

      Hi Marla – We put this question to the California Counseling Network and they answer came back that the five year clock starts once a student enrolls full time, so if they are dual enrollment full time then yes. Here is the reference:

  • Tamara

    Hi – for non-CCAP students, districts are permitted but not required to exempt nonresident special part-time students from all or part of the nonresident fee. Do the specified required nonresident fee exemptions (for regular CC students) apply to DE students? e.g., Apprentices taking classes of related and supplemental instruction, a student who is a child or spouse of a member of the armed forces, etc.
    Thank you!

  • Sabrina Robertson

    Is anyone aware of a local K12 district giving weighted GPA for dual enrollment courses similar to honors or AP?

  • Tamara

    I have some questions regarding the Legal table – to whom should I direct those?

  • Richard

    Great web site …
    A couple of questions:
    1) Can all or a portion of a dual enrollment class held at a high school site be distance education? Does that meet the ‘immediate supervision’ requirement?
    2) Calendar differences, high school bell schedules, school district half-days, and contact hours – how are differing holiday and non-instructional days to be addressed in respect to calculating contact hours? Differing term/semester lengths? One partnering district has a 15-week fall session followed by a 22-week spring session. Scheduling all 22-weeks in the spring will generate a crazy amount of contact hours for the community college. And … it may be difficult to find faculty who will teach 4+ weeks past the end of the college term. Can dual enrollment classes held at a high school end prior to the school district’s end of session if maximum college contact hours have been reached?

    • Naomi Castro

      Hi Richard-

      1) I will have to ask about the distance education question. Have you spoken to your partner college about this? One solution may simply be to enroll high school students in a regular on-line/distance education course with some support for online navigation and structured time, perhaps provided by the high school, to do the online work. Some colleges also offer hybrid courses that are part time face to face and part online. If you try this I would recommend highly structured support as many students find distance education challenging.

      2) The challenge of conflicting schedules and calendars is very familiar to dual enrollment partnerships. This is something you need to work between the college and high school. Some partnerships have found creative ways to address these problems including offering courses that are low college units (1 or 2) so that they have fewer contact hours, scheduling a 3 unit content courses with a 1 unit college success course and even supplemental instruction to fill the same time slot for five consecutive days, and so on. The important thing to remember is that the college class has a minimum number of contact hours that must be met. This is one reason why courses offered after school – or in the last period of the day – are chosen. If the college course ends before the high school semester, the students may be free to leave, depending on the high school’s procedures.

      I invite you to give me a call and we can talk through other examples and I may be able to point you to some partnerships in your area. My contact info is under “About Us” on the upper right hand corner of this page and then “CLP Team.”

  • Michelle Arthur

    Thanks for the chance to ask a question. I am interested in hearing from other colleges about how to seamlessly enroll students especially by the 2nd week of class. Thanks again for hosting the IEPI workshop. Our team learned a great deal about how to proceed.

    • Naomi Castro

      Thanks Michelle – we will ask some colleges to chime in here. I do hear that Irvine Valley College has their concurrent enrollment form online!

  • Martha Villarreal

    I am new to Dual Enrollment and really appreciate this opportunity to read your “best practices” and discussions.

    • Naomi Castro

      Great! Glad to have you along!

  • Taylor Quinn

    Could a high school counselor or higher education coordinator be designated as a “school official” under 34 CFR § 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B) for the purposes of grade sharing between two institutions? Or would they be considered an “other party,” since they are not employed by and under the direct control of the institution with respect to the use and maintenance of educational records? Wouldn’t a counselor have a legitimate educational interest to ensure high school students are not failing a class that will be posted to their high school transcript? -Thank you!

    • Naomi Castro

      Taylor this is really good question and I believe folks are reluctant to answer because no one wants to be seen as providing legal guidance, especially if we aren’t lawyers. I have two thoughts:

      1. your own college legal council should weigh in on this, perhaps in consultation with your Institutional Research Department and perhaps Admissions and Records and Counseling.

      2. whatever you decide as an institution, along with your partner high school districts, should be spelled out in your AB 288 agreement, MOU or a data sharing agreement so that there is little ambiguity.

      I welcome others to add their insights and experiences to this.

  • Naomi Castro

    I have a question for larger dual enrollment community – does anyone have any experience in dual enrollment with adult schools?

  • Amber

    Can the non-AB288 agreement be done with a local charter school and a Community College district? The language in the CCAP vs non-CCAP and in the CCAP vs Non CCAP Agreements fliers do not state charter schools.

    • Martha Villarreal

      Amber, I have the same question. Does anyone have an answer to this?

    • Naomi Castro

      This is a great question! AB 288 Agreements need to be between districts, a community college district and a school district. If the charter school is chartered through a district then that is who the agreement would be with. Some charter schools are chartered through a county office of education or another entity. In those arrangements they may not take part in an AB 288 agreement, but they can still have a partnership with your college under the “old” track of dual enrollment – the legal opinion outlines these two tracks for dual enrollment.

  • Vicky

    I have a question about athletic training course. this is a non-physical ed class and I believe on page 10 of the kit I am allowed to offer, however, many are advising against it. Please advise.

    • Naomi Castro

      Hi Vicky – if the course is a part of a defined pathway it should be fine, however because it is in PE it may be looked at more closely to ensure it is part of pathway – I remember you saying it was a part of a Sports Medicine pathway and that makes sense.

  • Marla

    I am hoping that this Q&A section is still being looked at for answers. I have 4 questions: Are transfer courses okay to offer if they area within a CTE Pathway and not as stand alone sections? Example: History 8 or an Engl 1A. A second question: is the spirit of AB-288 being met if the HS allows non-CTE pathway students into that transfer course, in other words students who are normally AP students?
    Third question: our Senate is questioning whether a CTE course that is CSU/UC transferable is allowable in AB-288? I say it is, am I correct?
    4th question: can you do an open campus MOU and also do a closed campus CCAP with the same HS district, with all classes occurring during the high school bell schedule?
    thanks in advance for any clarification/guidance

    • Rebecca Bocchicchio

      Marla, FWIW I can tell you that we have both “traditional” and CCAP agreements with the same districts. Please contact me at Sierra College if you would like to know what we’ve done.

  • Rebecca Bocchicchio

    Is it permissible to charge CCAP students a materials fee, or does that need to be waived? Thank you.